Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Due to a newly developed case of writer's block...I am desperate to write something. I feel heaps of creativity bottled up inside me, but when I put pencil to paper, or fingers to keypad...I get nothing. The urge is there, the plug is just not meeting the outlet. Jess suggested I write what I feel most strongly about today. Which made me stop and think...what is it that I, at this very moment, feel strong about? Alas, my mind is not racing with ideas, or thoughts. I have instead, a sense of peace, and that all is right with the world. Maybe that's it...there is nothing at this very moment that is overwhelmingly looming above me. Maybe my writer's mind only works when there is something in my life tormenting my soul. Or perhaps, like a quote I pasted in my journal says, "I'm a born copier-I just copy the people I like", I have no thoughts of my own outside others poetry and song lyrics that strike a chord in my mind (pun intended :) ). Although that quote applies to interior decorating...not baring one's soul on paper...it too makes me wonder if I am truly creative, or just a fake. I have a deep seated desire to be "artsy", well-read, knowledgable about all things cultural...and there are times I feel I succeed...then there are time like the last couple of days, where I feel like the most boring, uninspired human being on the planet.

However, there is another side to this proverbial coin. It is nice to be at a place in my life where there is peace around me. Where I feel things are "right" and my heart is happy. Happy to simply see the sun, and to come home and roll around with my dogs, happy to cook a palate pleasing dinner, and content to sit with a blanket wrapped around me and watch "2 Days in Paris" for the 4th time. I think, in a nutshell, this kind of living can be described as "Simplicity". Simplicity is something I often yearn to attain for my life, but spend my days in a competely different manner.

So, in a way, I'm a bit thankful for the lack of ideas right now. It reminds me that there have been times in my life when I couldn't write enough...couldn't get the hurt, the fear, the worry, the anger, and the frustration all out on my paper before running out of ink. While I pray to always have a creative outlet, I am content now with not having anything large and important to write about...and look...after all the worrying about not being able to write...I wrote. :)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

See? You did it. ;)

I know exactly how you feel--it seems like most of my college art school days were spent constantly trying to prove myself as an artsy person, when most of the time I just felt like a technician...

It's scary how alike we are sometimes.

Chris Solomon said...

Sometimes it's good to be in a place where you're just "in between." Being there, when life feels very simple, makes me appreciate having a little down time. Though, if I'm honest, I never acknowledge it until it has already passed me by.

I don't think you were suffering from writer's block. I think you were just on vacation.

Dannybrou said...

simplicity is amazing. We always try to pack the most into each day without taking the time to step back and just watch. Congrats on just being able to 'watch' the past couple of days.

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”

~Audrey Hepburn