Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Personal Soundtrack

Here is my soundtrack, progressing from self views, to songs that are meaningful to significant parts of my life…finalized by what I would consider my current personal mantras.”


Ben Folds Five, “Kate”
“When all words fail she speaks,
Her mix tape's a masterpiece,
Walks through the garden so the roses can see…Oh I...have you got nothing to say?And you can see the daisies in her footsteps…Dandelions, butterflies…I wanna be Kate”

Jackopierce, “Wildflowers”
"Sweet darling country girl, Got her hair tied back in a bow, Walking long and dusty miles, Down a gravel gray Texas road. Her butterfly eyes have seen the coming of ten thousand wildflowers. Her eyes have seen the coming of the wildflowers. Tiptop of Texas on the handle of the land, The boy who would be cowboy rides on…VW van, Bringing everything about him that she can have If she can. He's got himself a mind for wildflowers. He's coming long miles for his wildflowers, Wildflowers.”

Elton John, “Tiny Dancer” (Tie Me Down Sir)
“Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band, Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man, Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand…And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand”

Wyclef Jean, “Dance Like This”
“I never really knew that you could dance like this…She make a man wanna speak Spanish…Como se llama? Bonita. Mi casa, su casa.
Baila la calle de noche, baila la calle de dia.”


Amos Lee, “Southern Girl”
“Something about a southern girl Make me feel right. In a Mississippi morning, She's an angel in flight. In a blink of an eye, She'll be out of your sight. Something about a southern girl.”

Jackopierce, “Vineyard”
“But that girl over there has mahogany hair, And her eyes of sweet amethyst. I think maybe it would be better if I just wrote her a letter, But instead she grabs me and we kiss. And she says, And she says, Won’t you stay on the vineyard for the summer? Won’t you stay on the vineyard for the year?”

Paul Wright, “Walks on Water”
“She wakes up and takes up her surfboard,
heads out…out from the seashore
and from the world in where she lives.
She's got no fears or worries at all right there
just the smell of salt water that's in the air
and the sunrise.”

Ryan Adams, “Stars Go Blue”
“Dancin' where the stars go blue, Dancin' where the evening fell, Dancin' in your wooden shoes, In a wedding gown”

Lionel Richie, “Easy Like Sunday Morning”
“Everybody wants me to be what they want me to be. I'm not happy when I try to fake it…No. Ooh, that’s why Im easy….I'm easy like Sunday morning…Thats why I'm easy….I'm easy like Sunday morning.”

Dave Matthews Band, “Dreamgirl”
“Caught by a wave my back to the ocean. It knocks me off my feet and just as I find my footing...here you come again.”

Matthew Sweet, “Farther Down”
“Into you so far our words go...so much clearer then you hear.
Into you goes everything I know...no one else knows how I feel.
Farther down I'm desperate for you,where you never have to know. Farther down I'm still without a clue, just something, something takes my pain away.”

Andrew Peterson, “Just As I Am”
“All of my life, I've held on to this fear. Its thistles and vines ensnare and entwine, what flowers appeared. It's the fear that I'll fall, one too many times. It's the fear that His love is no better than mine. But He says that just as I am and just as I was, just as I will be He loves me, He does. He showed me the day that He shed His own blood. He loves me, oh, He loves me, He does.”

Rich Mullins, “Land of My Sojourn”
”Nobody tells you when you get born here how much you'll come to love it, and how you'll never belong here. So I call you my country, and I'll be lonely for my home, and I wish that I could take you there with me.

Sara Bareilles, “Many the Miles”
“There's too many things that I haven't done yet, too many sunsets, I haven't seen. You can't waste the day wishing it'd slow down. You would've thought by now I'd have learned something. I made up my mind when I was a young girl I've been given this one world, I won't worry it away. But now and again I lose sight of the good life. I get stuck in a low light, but then Love comes in.”

Missy Higgins, “Steer”
“But the search ends here where the night is totally clear and your heart is fierce.
So now you finally know that you control where you go.
You can steer.
So hold this feeling like a newborn,
all the freedom surging through your veins.
You have opened up a new door,
So bring on the wind, fire and rain.”

1 comment:

The Chad said...

I'm an 80's guy, so "Easy Like a Sunday Morning" was a good choice. I find myself singing that from time to time.

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”

~Audrey Hepburn