Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Bewitched


I think, with all seriousness, that Michael Kors has done something to bewitch me. I cannot walk into that store without leaving with something. His design style is classic and chic...and the store at Northpark has the most amazing sales known to man. Boots once thought out of my price range are made attainable at the end of the season. I'll never forget walking into the Dillards in Shreveport and seeing the racks of clearance boots, and spotting the unmistakable Michael by Michael Kors box. Could it be? The boots I already owned in brown, now made available in grey? Grey suede scrunchie boots, oh how I love you. The first pair I greedily grabbed off the shelf just happened to be a 1/2 size too big...but for $42.50...who cares?? I did not let that box out of my grip while I searched for another pair for my shopping partner Carrie. We found one other pair in all of the store, only a size too big...I told Carrie, "Wear thick socks. Buy the boots. You have no choice." They're beautiful...but I digress...


I was at the mall last night, having dinner and drinks with some of my favorite girls when Michelle happened to say, "Michael Kors has the best sale on some of their shoes." My ears perked up while at the same time my mind raced..."do not even think about going in there Katy," said the good, frugal, budget savvy angel on the left shoulder while the shoe loving, designer addicted she-devil on the right whispered, "Just go look...it can't hurt to look..."


I leave the girls and have a genuine errand to run...I need to hit La Occitane to buy a bundle of lavender, and in order to get there...I have to pass...yes, Michael Kors. My feet, on their own will, head into the store where the first thing I see is a 70% off sign above an entire shelf of shoes. And not winter shoes, we're talking cute, summer, wear now shoes. I begin planning outfits around the shoes I'm seeing. I'm still not convinced until the sales girl (who I'm pretty sure said, "Hi Katy" when I walked in) says "Most of those are either $25 or $35 with the sale." "Are you serious?" I asked in genuine astonishment. "Serious," she said with a smile. Much to my chagrin, and Trey's relief, they only had a couple of pairs left in my size. I left with the cutest pair of gold and silver heels...see picture for reference.


I was feeling a tad guilty since every time I buy a new pair of shoes, which is often, I promise myself I won't buy another pair until I clean out my closet, or start wearing everything I own. But I've realized something. I'm on a quest...a quest for the perfect sole mate. I can't fight it. And while Michael Kors is providing me the oppurtunity to search for this mate at very large discount prices, who am I to deny myself that pleasure? I took comfort in Carrie's words..."You're excused because, for that price, it would be a crime to NOT buy them."


I've owned alot of shoes in my life. I love Reef flip flops, low top Chuck Taylors, Jessica Simpson heels, Sperry Top Siders, ballet slippers of any color and style, and over the top heels from the $4.99 shoe store. I'll shop at Nordstrom, Payless, Barneys, or Target. I just LOVE shoes. I feel that one day, I'll find a pair that screams...."I am SO you!" And I'll probably buy one in every color. So to all of you out there on the hunt for your own sole mate, be it Converse, Jimmy Choo, Puma, Christian Loboutin, or Nike...keep searching. That perfect pair is out there somewhere...waiting for your feet to say, "Ahhhh, feels like home."

4 comments:

Dannybrou said...

I just want some pumas... but.. I like shoes.. I can't deny it. Check out my 'like' list on myspace.

Carrie said...

I have a new song dedication for you: "New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini ;)!

If you even need help resisting shoes...don't call me--I fully support your fetish. It's just a coincidence that we wear the same size :)
xoxo

Chris Solomon said...

Don't feel bad. I've almost completed the color spectrum with the amount of Pumas I own. I also buy all of mine on sale.

Challenge: Wear all of the shoes you own back to back until you've worn every pair.

Up for it?

Rachel H. said...

Shoes are so great...I love to watch my shoe shelf fill up with really cute shoes, even though I don't wear them all.

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”

~Audrey Hepburn