Tuesday, April 1, 2008

'Nilla Milk with Tia


Does anyone know what to do with a 4 year old boy? I hope so, because I sure don't...but I'm about to inherit one for a short time. My sweet nephew, whom I adore beyond all reason will be staying with my husband and I for awhile...and while he's stayed with us before...it's pretty much been for one night, and I've gotten to play the cool aunt role. We hit Starbucks together about once a week...Ev gets Organic 'Nilla Milk and Tia (me) has her caramel macchiato. We've been to the zoo, parks, fed the ducks at White Rock, and even Wild About Harry's. The kid's a Dallasite through and through. I LOVE dressing the kid, and taking him to fun places, but raising him? Yeah...news flash....I have NO maternal instincts as of yet...hence the reason Trey and I have not pro-created. We fly by the seat of our pants, to the gym, to dinner, to soccer games, bible study...we love being on the go. Apparently, as people who have children have told me, that's all about to stop. Or...at the very least, slow down a little. I've never shied away from saying that I'm not even sure I WANT to have kids of my own...and if we do...we'll most likely adopt, Brangelina style. But I look into that sweet little boys face and long for him to have a stable home, a home where he knows what time he'll go to bed, where he knows the food he'll eat is good for his body, I long for him to be in church, learning what life might be all about. And so, if it takes a bit of sacrifice on my part to, even for a time, give him what I think it is that all kids need...who am I to shun that oppurtunity? I ask for prayer, and for ideas? Anyone? Beuhler? I am so thankful for the friends I have that have already said, "We'll do anything you need." And while I don't normally call on favors, I am so about to!

5 comments:

Dannybrou said...

Please don't hesitant to call on a favor from me...

I will be there.

Carrie said...

What do you mean you have no maternal instincts?! You're always seeing to the needs of others and are one of the most thoughtful people ever!

I have no idea why you'd be worried--you're gonna be great. Seriously. :)

Rachel H. said...

I don't know what to do with kids...I'm so bad with them, but I love them. They are so cute! How long will he be staying? I think that you will do fine. I can't wait to have kids even though, I don't know if I'll be a great mother.

Tipp said...

Hi Kate,

I am so glad to have found you! Thanks for visiting my page!

I am looking forward to reading more, and my Hubby and I are going to adopt someday too (perhaps sooner than later!)

jason said...

soo i think that its most humble and gracious of you to take care of my nephew. it is noble and righteous of you and t ray to give up things for evan. im thoroughly impressed with what you guys have come to be in the past year and look to one day be that awesome. Evan could not ask for a better thing in his life right now. Praise God for amy, praise Him for her help, praise Him for this opportunity and praise Him for the grace and love He has givin to us without questions.

baby brother

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”

~Audrey Hepburn