Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A few of my favorite things...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad
These are the lyrics that were running through my head this morning at 3:45 am while the house shook from the thunder and the room looked like day. I was sleeping soundly, as I usually do during a thunderstorm when all of a sudden I was awakened by a combined 130 pounds of crying, shaking, hyperventilating dog. As it turns out, our dogs are terrified of thunderstorms. I'm not sure if this is a newly onset fear, because I don't remember ever being jolted out of sleep quite like this...and I'm pretty sure that in the 3 years we've had our dogs there have been thunderstorms. Now, Duke...not so much a problem. As a beagle, he can curl up quite small at the end of the bed and not cause any problems. He's also apparently the braver of the two. After the initial jump to the bed...he was A-OK. Slater, on the other hand...kept me up all night. Much to Trey's chagrin, I told Slater he could stay..."he's shaking..." I told him. "Oh, I can feel him," he replied. But with every crash of thunder, he leapt up, and then had to find a new position. 2 grown people, a beagle, and a pitbull in a queen bed do not a night of sound sleep make. I finally shoved him off the bed, only to have him stand with his nose on the bed, still crying. Hence, the singing to myself at 4:00 in the morning. If I were to write a chorus to that song it might go something like this...and I'm not a songwriter by any means AND this is the musings of an incoherent girl at 4 in the morning...
Fresh fruits and veggies from the Farmers Market
running through dew on a warm summer morning
getting mail from the framily...tied up with string...
these are a few of my favorite things...
That's as far as I got last night...I might add more later...maybe everyone else can add to it. :)
Or maybe we can admit that I should never try to change lyrics of famous songs, especially in the dead of night and never mention this again.

2 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Cute song and way to think about your favorite things, but terrible reason to do it. Sucks that you had to be up all night!

Carrie said...

No schnitzel with noodle references?! That saddens me...

I'm sure if the song is about the fram, we need to make mention of Pumas, Starbucks, hats and books!

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”

~Audrey Hepburn